Thursday, January 21, 2016

Hammer and Chisle Journey- Weeks 2-4 I am FRUSTRATED

Never give up right?!? That is what I keep telling myself.  No pounds gone, no inches gone, and a very frustrated and worn out mom is what you get! I am trying to focus on non scale victories as well. I notice my endurance is getting better, my upper body strength is improving, but seriously, no pounds gone and actually ended up gaining a few!!! NOT WHAT I HAD PLANNED ON HAPPENING!

So, I called my coach. She herself has ample experience with these programs and meal plans as well as her own prep for figure competitions. We chatted and we came up with a plan. I am altering my meal plan ever so slightly to accommodate days when I lift heavier and on days that are more cardio heavy. On heavy cardio days I will cut out a carb and reduce my calorie intake that day. The good think about these programs, is that the meal plan allows for flexibility usually within a 200-300 calorie range. Heavy cardio days will also have carbs on 1st and 3rd meals and during the day I will eat lean meats and veggies. As I am also trying to prepare for a really big Spartan race, I have to incorporate running. I am trying to figure out how to do this is we are currently experiencing subarctic temperatures (I am exaggerating a little but seriously not really fond of the idea of running outside in the cold) running outside is tricky, and it may be time to discuss investing in a treadmill.  We also decided that on days when I have really heavy lifting days (which can happen frequently with this particular program), and I'm running  I will add an additional small meal of a protein and carb (so an additional red and yellow).  The red container or additional protein source can be in the form of an extra shake 2-3 days per week. No extras just a scoop and water and chug it down. Seems tricky right? But this is where meal planning and prep makes a huge difference!

After talking to her I felt more confident that I can bust through whatever is happening. I know my nutrition is key to make this work so that is where I am putting most of my focus. I feel as though maybe I have sabotaged myself. I am busting out these amazingly difficult workouts, but not so much busting out the awesome in the kitchen. And with that being said this week is all about experimentation with my nutrition and calorie intake. I have also decided to incorporate at least 2 days per week of fasting cardio and have a day mid week that I cut calories even more, almost like intermittent fasting in hopes that I can trick my metabolism up some.





Now bear in mind, I am NOT A PROFESSIONAL. This is all guess work but I am incorporating ideas from my own coach, research that I do, and keeping my fingers crossed that I find something that works best for me. EVERY SINGLE PERSON IS DIFFERENT. So please know what may work for me or someone else may very well not work for YOU. You do have to be willing to put in the effort and work to find what works best for you. This is just currently what I am trying.

One thing I can say, is that I have never before put this much effort into something like this. Often times my efforts were limited to just cutting calories significantly, not working out consistently, and not eating the right amounts of the right foods. Of course I never really lost the weight and if I did I just gained it right back. I never really focused on changing my habits and NEVER had a coach to go to for additional support and advice. I am learning most of this for the first time and it is tricky. I have to find what will work best for my body and the heavy amount of training & preparation that is happening for this race. Bear in mind, this race is a few short months away so there is no time to hold back. This MUST BE 100% ALL IN. NO SHORTCUTS. NO QUITTING. NO WHINING WHEN IT GETS HARD. NO EXCUSES. JUST DO IT.


Here's to new beginnings and never quitting or giving up on myself.

xoxo

Meghan


No comments:

Post a Comment